Thursday, September 02, 2010

SETLIST: iTunes' PING, Google Music Hiring, Ashes


Ping, a Social Network for iTunes  [LA TIMES] - Pretty interesting new edition of iTunes is out today.  Biggest change is its' music-centered social network, PING.  Basically its a Facebook-like feed of your friends and followees music purchases, reviews and recommendations.  Has potential to be a very important new music recommendation service for people and will definitely be huge for Apple as any new music your friend likes, can easily be purchased within iTunes.  One cool feature is a sidebar that aggregates the top songs purchased/liked by people in your "network".  This probably is not good for one of my favorite companies, Last.FM.


[UPDATE:  Scratch that...Ping will die.  Just found out it only takes into account music you purchase via iTunes.  I can easily say that less than 1% of my collection has come via the iTunes Store]

Live Nation to Power Concert Listings, Ticket Sales in iTunes 10 [TECHCRUNCH] - Makes sense that these two massive corporations would get together.  I didn't mention it above but the social network will also have concert listings/recommendations.

Why the Music Business Needs a New iTunes [ALL THINGS DIGITAL] - Universal Music Group saw sales continue to drop in Q2 (-2.8%) despite increasing digital revenues.  Go share some UMG bands with your friends on Ping and make them less sad.

Google Goes Hunting for Music Boss [ALL THINGS DIGITAL] - Oh to have a job combining my love of music and Google.  Too much pressure and too many expectations though...Lets hope they find someone good.  

When Drinking Means You Formed a Band  [HOLIDAY MATINEE] - I have always been a fan of using a half empty beer bottle as a musical instrument...dying to see what this musically demarcated bottles really sound like.  Could be the most amazing or most beautiful night at a bar if every drunkard was harmonizing.

Ashes to Vinyl [GIZMODO] - I now know how I want my remains taken care of when I die.  Not even joking, I am SO doing this.  Great Grandchildren...prepare to listen to OK Computer as heard through my ashes.  (I was going for humor but that actually gave me chills...the good kind)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails