Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Damien Rice - Coconut Skins



Went to see Damien Rice at the El Rey tonight...as expected, a really good show. His voice is phenomenal live and he definitely sings with a lot of passion. Yes his songs are a bit depressing at times but who doesn't enjoy a good depressing song?? Even he thought we were all crazy for standing there, rejoicing in his depression-drenched songs. I don't know, maybe it takes a pessimistic person to enjoy such melancholy (I consider myself an optimistic pessimist so I get to enjoy it all).

The whole set definitely reiterated my appreciated for the new album, 9, which comes out today, Nov. 14th. As always, Damien was accompanied by the amazing Lisa Hannigan and Vivian Long (on cello) who sang a really nice piano based cover of The Flaming Lips 'Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots' in the middle of the set so Damien could drink some wine. The encore consisted of a medley of songs at the request of the audience and included my favorite B-side 'Rat within the Grain' but did not include 'Woman Like a Man' to the dismay of Becky and many others.

Once video or photos get put up, I'll put some here. For now, enjoy this video of Coconut Skins from his instore appearance this past weekend at Fingerprints in Long Beach.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails